Below is our finished music video

My Outside Digipak Panels

My Outside Digipak Panels

My Inside Digipak Panels

My Inside Digipak Panels

Please click the image below to view our finished website

Tuesday 17 October 2017

R+P Post 3: Music genres that interest me

Genre is very important to an artist's identity, the way in which an artist is marketed to an audience and how audiences categorise their music styles/taste. I therefore believe that researching genre will be key to constructing a successful music video to market our new artist. Below are some genres of music which I personally enjoy and decided to do more research into:

Grime

Grime is definitely one of my favourite music genres at this moment. This particular genre is growing within the industry due to the rise of some major British artists who identify within the genre, such as Stormzy, Giggs and J Hus. Grime emerged in London during the early 2000s and has taken influence from existing genres such as hip pop and ragga. Rapping is the significant element of the style of which lyrics often revolve around the gritty depictions of urban life. Artists within the genre usually produce music videos to promote their new singles and to introduce themselves as an up oncoming artist- NOT3S's music video 'Addison Lee' is a perfect example of this as it is what drove him to now winning the 2017:Best Breakthrough award, as seen below:



R&B

R&B has been one of my favourite genres over the years and I would certainly consider it to house some of the most successful artists within the music industry. R&B originated in the 1940's as a representation of all 'blues' records, however from the 1980's on wards it has become more mainstream due to the incorporation of hip-pop. Contemporary R&B is what this genre is now identifiable as, with artists such as Ne-yo and Usher taking prominence during the 00's.

Examples of R&B songs:



Above are two of my favourite R&B tracks, 'Miss Independent' by Ne-Yo and 'Yeah!' by Usher. From watching the music videos of the songs I felt a greater connection to the artist as I then had a visual image of their music whenever I thought of them or the genre. I believe that this effect is created by the music videos due to the entertaining and well choreographed dance breaks which are also accompanied by aspirational narrative shots, such as the guy getting the girl.

From this research of music genres, my group decided upon a music video which belong within the R&B genre primarily but would feature some conventions of other genres such as hip-hop as we believe this will give us more creative control to ensure our artist stands out whilst still conforming to R&B conventions

No comments:

Post a Comment